Yonkers Police Domestic Violence Information

(ENGLISH or Spanish)

Yonkers Police Emergency 9-1-1
Yonkers Police Non-Emergency 914-377-7900

Yonkers Courts & Resources

· Adult Protective Services 914-995-2259 

· Criminal Court Clerk 914-831-6930

· District Attorney’s Office 914-231-2700

· Family Abuse Court Services 914-231-2883

· Family Court Clerk 914-831-6555

· Legal Services of the Hudson Valley 914-376-3757

· My Sisters’ Place Family Violence Shelter (Yonkers-24 Hours) 1-800-298-7233
  (Yonkers Office 9am-5pm) 914-358-0333

· Office for Women (Yonkers Spanish Speaking) 914-231-2882

· Pace Family Court Legal Program 914-231-2886

· Probation (Yonkers) 914-231-2900

· Rape Crisis Hotline 914-345-9111 or 1-855-827-2255 (24 hour Hotline)

· Victim Assistance Services (Yonkers Office 9am-5pm) 914-965-0217 or 1-800-827-2255 (24 Hours)


    • Get to a safe place away from the violence.
    • Get information on how the court can help protect you against the violence.
    • Get medical care for injuries you or your children may have.
    • Get necessary belongings from your home for you and your children.
    • Get copies of police reports about the violence.
    • File a complaint in criminal court, and tell you where your local criminal and family courts are located.

    • If the person who harmed you or threatened you is a family member or someone you've had a child with, then you have the right to take your case to the criminal courts, the family court, or both.
    • If you and the abuser aren't related, weren't ever married or don't have a child in common, then your case can be heard only in the criminal court.
    • The forms you need are available from the Family court and the criminal court.
    • The courts can decide to provide a temporary order of protection for you, your children and any witnesses who may request one.
    • The family court may appoint a lawyer to help you in court if it is found that you cannot afford one.
    • The family court may order temporary child support and temporary custody of your children.

    "Filing a criminal complaint or a family court petition containing allegations that are knowingly false is a crime."

    New York Law States; “If you are the victim of domestic violence, you may request that the officer assist in providing for your safety and that of your children, including providing information on how to obtain a temporary order of protection. You may also request that the officer assist you in obtaining your essential personal effects and locating and taking you, or assist in making arrangements to take you, and your children to a safe place within such officer's jurisdiction, including but not limited to a domestic violence program, a family member's or a friend's residence, or a similar place of safety. When the officer's jurisdiction is more than a single county, you may ask the officer to take you or make arrangements to take you and your children to a place of safety in the county where the incident occurred. If you or your children are in need of medical treatment, you have the right to request that the officer assist you in obtaining such medical treatment. You may request a copy of any incident reports at no cost from the law enforcement agency.” “You have the right to seek legal counsel of your own choosing and if you proceed in family court and if it is determined that you cannot afford and attorney, one must be appointed to represent you without cost to you. You may ask the district attorney or a law enforcement officer to file a criminal complaint. You have the right to have your petition and request for an order of protection filed on the same day you appear in court, and such request must be heard that same day or the next day court is in session. Either court may issue an order of protection from conduct constituting a family offense which could include, among other provisions, an order for the respondent or defendant to stay away from you and your children. The family court may also order the payment of temporary child support and award temporary custody of your children. If the family court is not in session, you may seek immediate assistance from the criminal court in obtaining an order of protection. The forms you need to obtain for an order of protection are available from the family court and local criminal court. The resources available in this community for information relating to domestic violence, treatment of injuries, and places of safety and shelters can be accessed.