Robbery Prevention Tips
Please follow the following tips to reduce your chances of being the victim of a robbery on the street or in other public areas.
- Keep jewelry tucked in your clothing and out of sight.
- Keep your cell phone and Ipod and other electronic devices out of sight while you are in public. Thieves target these items.
- If you must use a devise in public, keep one earpiece out so you can still hear someone approaching and what is going on around you.
- Keep all electronic devices and phones stored out of sight, where they cannot be easily snatched.
- Limit the valuables you carry. Carry only as much cash as you need and don’t flash it while out shopping.
- Keep cash, credit cards, and ID in different areas in your purse or clothing.
- Show confidence- Walk at a steady pace, keep your head up and make eye contact as you walk.
- Know your destination and have a planned route of travel.
- Know the train and bus schedule so you do not have to wait around for any significant length of time.
- Walk with friends or family in well lit, open areas.
- Write down phone and other electronic device serial numbers and your credit card numbers and bank phone numbers and leave them in a secure area at home.
During a Robbery:
- Stay Calm. Do not make sudden movements and follow the thief’s directions.
- Don’t be a hero, Your life is worth more than your items!
- Take mental notes of the robber’s description, including race, age, sex, height, weight, hair and eye color, build and clothing. Notice any unusual tattoos or scars as well.
- Note the type, size and color of any weapon used.
- Note the direction the robber takes when leaving.
- Take down their license plate if possible.
After a Robbery:
- Call the police immediately.
- Try and recall as much as you can about the robber, writing it down if possible.
- Ask any witnesses to stay and speak to the Police.