Why Do Kids Use Drugs?
Young people say they turn to alcohol and other drugs for one or more of the following reasons:
- To do what their friends are doing
- To escape pain in their lives
- To fit in
- For fun
- To take risks
Take A Stand!
- Educate yourself about the facts surrounding alcohol and other drug use. You will lose credibility with your child if your information is not correct.
- Establish clear family rules against drug use and enforce them consistently.
Develop your parenting skills through seminars, networking with other parents, reading, counseling, and support groups. Work with other parents to set community standards - you don’t raise a child alone.
- Volunteer at schools, youth centers, Boys & Girls Clubs, or other activities in your community.
For More Information
- State and local government drug use prevention, intervention, and treatment agencies.
- State and local law enforcement agencies. Private drug use treatment service listed in the telephone book Yellow Pages.
National Clearinghouse for Alcohol and Drug Information (NCADI)
P.O. Box 2345
Rockville, MD 20847-2345
Why Do Kids Use Drugs? (.pdf format)