The Yonkers Police Department needs your help in combating Burglary.
Burglary violates the safety and security of the home. Many burglaries can be prevented if you follow these tips:
- Never leave your door unlocked (and of course, never leave your door open) Dead bolt locks are a great deterrent to burglars.
- When you go out, close and lock your windows. Many burglars enter homes and apartments through open windows. Windows on or near fire escapes should always be locked. Safety gates on fire escape windows are a good investment.
- In apartment buildings, don’t buzz strangers in.Anytime you see a suspicious person near your home, call 911 immediately.
- Don’t permit unexpected utility workers, deliveryman, etc. into your home. Ask them for their I.D. and phone number to their office. Call 911 if you are not sure of their identity.
- Residents of low and three family houses, make sure that the front door entering the building is locked at all times.
- Apartment dwellers, insist that the building management improve security e.g. better locks, better lighting, locked lobby doors, security cameras, etc.
- Burglar alarms are a good deterrent.
- Give your home or apartment an “occupied look”. Lights or a radio on automatic timers may deter burglars.
- Open garages and sheds are easy targets for burglars.
If you follow these basic tips, you can greatly reduce your chances of being burglarized. Make your home a “hard target” for burglars.
Crime Prevention Tips for Burglary (.pdf format)