The Yonkers Police Department needs your help in combating auto theft. While Hondas and Toyotas are usually the cars most often stolen, any car is desirable to a thief. Items such as GPS systems, head lights, mirrors, air bags, and radios are also very popular among car thieves.
The following list of auto crime prevention tips has been compiled:
- Never leave your keys in the car. Cars have been stolen while warming up in front of homes and while the owner has stopped briefly to mail a letter or buy a newspaper. This also applies to garage owners.
- Park in a well-lit area. Most auto thieves prefer working under the cover f darkness. Garage doors should always be locked.
- Use anti – theft devices such as steering wheels locks, ignition.
- Cut- off switches, alarms, etc. These items, while not 100% foolproof, area a proven deterrent to car thieves.
- Never leave packages in open view in your car. Take them with you or lock them in the trunk.
- Those who reside in apartment complexes with parking lots should strongly urge building management to install security cameras and better lighting in parking areas.
- If you see a suspicious person in your neighborhood (trying to open car doors, driving slowly around the same block several times, driving through parking lots and streets at night with their headlights turned off), Call 911 immediately.
- The Combat Auto Theft Program is a volunteer decal program designed to reduce car thefts in residential areas. Yonkers residents can call their local precinct to enroll.
- To falsely report your car stolen (insurance fraud) is a felony punishable with imprisonment and/or fine.
If you follow these basic steps, the chances of your car being stolen will be substantially reduced. Working together, the community and the police can significantly reduce crime.
Auto Theft Safety Tips (.pdf format)