Safety Guide PDF
- Have your home heating system, flues and chimneys inspected and cleaned for safe operation.
- Maintain a safe clearance between a portable electric heater and combustible material i.e. furniture, bedding, curtains and clothing.
- Turn off your portable or space heater before leaving the room.
- Make sure the wiring is adequate for electric space heaters and check for fraying, splitting wires, or overheating.
- Never use extension cords with electric heaters.
- Have all problems repaired by a professional before operating a heater.
- Select new heating equipment that bears the mark of an independent testing laboratory.
Portable Non-vented Kerosene Heaters are prohibited in ALL Multiple Residences, Public Assembly Areas and Commercial Properties.
The YFD recommends that Non-vented Kerosene Heaters NOT be used in ANY Type of Occupancy.
Smoke alarm are your first defense against the ravages of fire. Remember to install and maintain smoke alarms throughout the home. Adequate locations include inside each room used for sleeping, purposes, outside sleeping areas such as hallways, etc., basements, at the top of stairwells, at each stair landing.
Dial 9-1-1 Immediately
When fire strikes a few minutes hesitation can mean the difference between life and death. All fire alarms should be taken seriously and demand fast responses. Dial 9-1-1 to ensure fire department personnel are responding. Do not worry if it is a small fire. Let us be sure the fire is out.
Have a Fire Escape Plan
It is important for both children and adults to know and practice an escape plan from the home. Have a prearranged meeting place outside the home and phone 911 from a neighbor’s house.
For further information on fire prevention and other safety tips, please phone the Yonkers Fire Prevention Division at 914-377-7525 for assistance.