Having a plan is one of the most important steps that you can take in a disaster preparedness. Knowing what to do and how to do it can help your family manage disaster with less worry, fear and uncertainty.
- Decide what you and your family would do in each potential emergency situation.
- Draw a floor plan of your home showing escape routes.
- Choose a place away from your nieghborhood where famuly members can meet in case you are seperated and cannot return home due to a disaster.
- Identify a frield or relative who lives out of the area for family members to contact if you are seperated.
- Post emergency numbers by every phone and teach children how and when to dial 911.
- Know how to shut off the water, gas and electricity at the main switches in your home.
- Plan how to help elderly or disabled neighbors in a disaster.
- Check that your insurance policies are up to date and provide good coverage.
If you would like more information on being prepared contact the Yonkers Office of Emergency Management to arrange a free P.A.C.T. presentation.