Mayor Mike Spano launched the long-awaited Experience Yonkers in the summer of 2016 - an urban light and sound display in the Yonkers waterfront district. The interactive urban experience will feature art and music projected on the exterior side wall of the Yonkers Riverfront Library, on the sidewalks of Getty Square and under the Main Street overpass. Experience Yonkers content will feature video, music, art and information relating to Yonkers and its community. Yonkers is the first city in the U.S. to permanently install and display this technology, created by Gotham Innovation Greenhouse.
“Yonkers is creating an interactive urban experience and destination that is inviting and innovative for our residents and visitors to enjoy,” said Mayor Spano. “Experience Yonkers is a new way to highlight the transformative initiatives happening in the city, including our emerging arts scene and booming economic development, while celebrating our local communities and their achievements. I want to give a special thanks to Gotham Innovation Greenhouse for investing here so that Yonkers can continue to engage its residents and be the place for live, work and play.”
Experience Yonkers will feature video content that will run each night at Yonkers Riverfront Library at Larkin Center and in Getty Square, while sound will play from speakers mounted on nearby street light posts. The installation also will include colorful moving light shows and exterior wall lightings under the Main Street overpass that can be created and changed daily.
"There have been wall projections and technology like this in a few U.S. cities and several in Europe -- but those have mostly been for short term art festivals," said Norm Jacknis – President and Co-Founder of Gotham Innovation Greenhouse. "Yonkers is the first big city in the country to create a permanent installation of this kind to bring history, performance, interactivity and inspiration on a permanent basis. Yonkers will be the first big city that other cities emulate when it comes to this kind of digital technology."
The new technology will not only contain video and music, but also have the capability to play connected drone footage and communicate via social media for mobile devices. Gotham Innovation Greenhouse is a non-profit organization that aims to bring new and delightful urban experiences to the residents of large cities through the latest in new digital technologies.
Guidelines for Submitting Content:
1. You agree not to submit inappropriate content. Inappropriate content includes any content that:
- infringes upon or violates the copyrights, trademarks or other intellectual property rights of any person
- is libelous or defamatory
- is obscene, pornographic, or sexually explicit
- violates a person’s right to privacy
- violates any local, state, national, or international law
- contains or advocates illegal or violent acts
- degrades others on the basis of gender, race, class, ethnicity, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, disability, or other classification
- is predatory, hateful, or intended to intimidate or harass
- contains advertising or solicitation of any kind
- misrepresents your identity or affiliation
- impersonates others
2. You agree that you are fully responsible for the content that you submit.
3. You understand and agree that we are not responsible for any user submitted content. You further understand that we have the right, but not the obligation, to monitor submissions and we may remove content that we deem inappropriate for any reason whatsoever without consent. We further reserve the right, in our sole discretion, to remove a user’s privilege to post content on our site.
4. You acknowledge and agree any use and/or reliance on any information obtained through the interactive forums at your own risk. We are not in any manner endorsing the content of the interactive forums and cannot and will not vouch for its reliability.
5. For any content that you submit, you give us permission to use such content. You hereby grant to Slate a royalty-free, irrevocable, perpetual, worldwide, exclusive, and fully sublicensable license to use, reproduce, modify, adapt, publish, translate, create derivative works from, incorporate into other works, distribute, perform, display, and otherwise exploit such content, in whole or in part in any form, media or technology now known or later developed.