The City of Yonkers’ workforce is comprised of approximately 2,000 civil service positions, most of which fall under one of the City’s seven (7) different unions. Each union is governed by its own collective bargaining agreement which dictates the policies and rules of their workers. There are also approximately 120 unrepresented positions within the City that encompass a variety of different categories, such as elected officials, appointed positions and other managerial positions. The following are the independent unions of the City:
- PBA (Police Benevolent Association) - This bargaining unit is made up of non-ranking Police Officers.
- CLSA (Captains, Lieutenants, and Sergeants Benevolent Association) - This bargaining unit represents all ranking Police Officers, except for any appointed positions such as Commissioners and Deputy Commissioners.
- Local 628 (International Association of Firefighters) - This bargaining unit is made up of non-ranking Firefighters.
- Uniformed Fire Officers Association - This bargaining unit represents all ranking Fire Officers, except for any appointed positions such as Commissioners and Deputy Commissioners.
- Local 456 (International Brotherhood of Teamsters) - This bargaining unit represents Civil Service titles of the laborer class, as well as the City’s Detention Officers. (Negotiations are also underway for a separate Teamsters management group.)
- Local 704 (Service Employees International Union) - This bargaining unit primarily represents Civil Service titles which are non-managerial/clerical positions.
- Local 1897 (American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees) - This bargaining unit represents Civil Service titles which are generally of a supervisor level. This union also represents the majority of titles within the Department of IT for the City.