Yonkers Mayor Spano Announces Reopening of All City Playgrounds
YONKERS, NY – June 19, 2020 – Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano today announced all city playgrounds will reopen effective Saturday, June 20, and residents will be asked to adhere to the guidelines set forth by the City’s Parks and Recreation Department to ensure the safety of all who use the playground. City playgrounds were previously closed in March to prevent the spread of COVID-19.
“We are soon to enter Phase III of the region’s reopening so with school quickly coming to an end and the official start of summer now here, it’s time to open playgrounds to tame cabin fever,” said Mayor Spano. “Working with the Parks and Recreation department, we will do this responsibly to ensure the safety and well-being of all our residents, especially for our young ones. The Parks Department will be disinfecting our playgrounds every evening to ensure they are ready and safe to use the next day.”
Effective June 20th, all Yonkers playgrounds will be opened under the following guidelines:
· No more than 10 persons are permitted within the playground at the same time.
- Please maintain at least 6 feet of distance between yourself and others (non-household members).
- Please wear a face-covering/mask (for those over two years of age and medically able to tolerate a face-covering) when keeping 6 feet of distance from others is not possible.
- Please wash hands or use an alcohol-based sanitizer both before and after using the playground.
- Please stay home if you are sick or showing or feeling any COVID-19 symptoms, such as fever, coughing, and/or trouble breathing.
- Please stay away from playgrounds if you have come into contact within the last 14 days with anyone who is sick.
- Please follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)/State Department of Health (DOH) guidelines for preventing the spread of colds, flu, and COVID-19.
- Failure to follow these guidelines may result in the closure of this playground.
*Note: All 50 of the city playgrounds will be sanitized and disinfected every evening starting at 6pm.