Mobile Paper Shredder Available yo Yonkers Residents at E.J. Murray’s Skating Rink On Friday, June 19, 10am-2pm
YONKERS, NY – June 15, 2020 – Yonkers Mayor Spano today announced the City’s Department of Public Works will provide a mobile paper shredder for Yonkers residents to use to help them fight back against fraud and protect them from identity theft by shredding sensitive personal documents. The mobile shredder will be stationed at E.J. Murray’s Skating Rink, located at 348 Tuckahoe Road, on Friday, June 19th from 10AM – 2PM.
“We encourage our residents to take advantage of this free shredding service,” said Mayor Spano. “Shredding personal documents serves as an opportunity to not only recycle paper but also serves to protect sensitive information against identity theft, which is the fastest growing crime in the nation.”
Residents can bring only one file-size (10”x12”x15”) box of confidential papers per household to the skating rink for shredding. All large binder clips and covers must be removed from the documents (no 3 ring binders/plastic). Papers from businesses, institutions or commercial enterprises are not acceptable and will be rejected, as well as junk mail or newspapers.
Documents that are suitable for shredding before thrown away or recycled include:
· Expired credit card statements and receipts
· Old tax returns or any other personal documents containing names, addresses or other identifying information
· Pre-approved credit card applications
Due to COVID 19 regulations, all residents must maintain a distance of at least six feet apart from personnel, trucks and bins and must agree to the following rules:
· All shredding materials must be placed in the trunk of one’s vehicle and remain in the car while in the service queue
· Once at the shredding station, personnel will remove shredding materials from the truck and dump contents into a security bin for transport to the mobile shredding unit
· Once prompted, residents may drive away
For more information, residents can contact the Mayor’s Help Line at 914-377-HELP (4357).