Yonkers Fire Department Kicks Off Recruitment for New Firefighters
YONKERS, NY – October 29, 2019 -- Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano joined members of the Yonkers Fire Department today at the Yonkers Fire Recruitment Office at the Yonkers Riverfront Library (One Larkin Center, 4th Floor) to kick off the recruitment period for new firefighters. The Yonkers Fire Department is accepting applications for firefighters from now through January 10, 2020.
“We invite men and women of Yonkers to join the rich tradition of our Fire Department – to join the over 400 firefighters who work each day to serve and protect our City and its residents,” said Mayor Spano. “Being a Yonkers Firefighter is a tough job, but is equally rewarding.”
Qualifications to be Yonkers Firefighter include:
· Must be at least 17 years and 6 months of age and not have reached their 29th birthday on the date of the written test
· High school graduate or equivalency diploma
· Must be legal residents of Westchester County for at least 3 months immediately preceding the date of the written examination
· Valid New York State Class D Driver’s license
· Must pass medical exam and background investigation
Mayor Spano added, “The Yonkers Fire Department is not just a job, but a career – providing a competitive salary, excellent benefits and the best training available. I encourage those interested to apply.”
Firefighter applications will be accepted until January 10 at the Yonkers Fire Recruitment Office at the Yonkers Riverfront Library (4th Fl.) and at the Yonkers Civil Service Office located on the 2nd floor of One Larkin Center. The written examination will take place on Saturday, April 25, 2020. Applicants will be ranked on a list according to their performance on the written and physical exams and will be called to service when positions on the Yonkers Fire Department become available.
For more information on the Yonkers Fire Department recruitment, visit www.yonkersny.gov