6th Annual Yonkers Arts Weekend Hits the Streets May 18-19
Yonkers, NY – April 1, 2019 – Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano today announced the City will host its sixth annual Yonkers Arts Weekend (YAW), a celebration of the thriving and diverse arts community in the City of Yonkers, Saturday, May 18th and Sunday, May 19th.
Yonkers Arts Weekend will feature hundreds of local, regional and international artists, painters, photographers, performing artists and sculptors in four of the City’s most exciting cultural hotspots: the Downtown Yonkers Waterfront District, the Carpet Mills Arts District (“CMAD”), Untermyer Gardens and the Hudson River Museum. Since its inception in 2014, YAW has created a prominent arts district in the City of Yonkers, several city galleries have opened, and dozens of local and international renowned muralists and artists have contributed to the City’s downtown revival under the leadership of Mayor Mike Spano. YAW attracts more than 10,000 visitors a year to city galleries, the Carpet Mills Arts District, Hudson River Museum, and Untermeyer Gardens.
“Yonkers has secured its reputation as an artistic hub in the region and we are so excited to share that with residents and visitors each year during Yonkers Arts Weekend,” said Mayor Mike Spano. “Yonkers’ rich history, coupled with our thriving arts community, transforms the City, especially the historic waterfront district, into a walkable museum. I’m thrilled that we can bring this weekend to our community for a sixth consecutive year.”
Yonkers Arts Weekend is FREE of cost to the public and will showcase a wide range of artistic mediums, workshops, musical performances and guest appearances including:
· Various pop-up galleries in the Downtown Waterfront District
· Art Collector’s Expo at Sawyer Place (RXR Realty, 45 Main St.) -- a new sector featuring emerging artists selling their artwork, while also encouraging art lovers to build an art collection
· The 16th Annual YoHo Artist Open Studios at the historic Alexander Smith Carpet Mills, also known as the Carpet Mills Art District
· Music at Untermyer Gardens, courtesy of the Untermyer Performing Arts Council
· FREE admission all weekend at Hudson River Museum, including the Annual Kite Festival (not including the Planetarium)
· Appearance from Skeery Jones from Z100 Radio, courtesy of Generation Yonkers
"We at the Hudson River Museum are thrilled to support the 6th Annual Yonkers Arts Weekend. We invite everyone to be part of the creative expression of this great citywide event. We have lined up a full roster of art, music, and dance experiences, and can't wait to see you here," said Masha Turchinsky, Director, Hudson River Museum.
Yonkers Arts Weekend is produced by the City of Yonkers Planning & Development Department, along with the Downtown BID. Community partners and sponsors for YAW include Yonkers Downtown/Waterfront BID, US+U (Urban Studio Unbound), Warburton Galerie, YOHO artists and Carpet Mills Arts District (CMAD), Hudson River Museum, Blue Door Art Center, Riverfront Art Gallery, Sawyer Place, RXR Realty, AMS Acquisitions, Untermeyer Gardens Conservatory and Yonkers Parks Department.