APPLICANTS ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO MAIL APPLICATION IN WITH CHECK OR MONEY ORDER MADE PAYABLE TO: "CITY OF YONKERS" 1 LARKIN CENTER, DEPT. OF CIVIL SERVICE, YONKERS, N.Y. 10701
For immediate assistance regarding Civil Service matters, please EMAIL either:
*Victor Pacheco: email@example.com or
*Timothy Philp: firstname.lastname@example.org
ALL YONKERS CIVIL SERVICE EXAMINATIONS SCHEDULED TO BE HELD ON THE FOLLOWING DATES HAVE BEEN POSTPONED :
MARCH 14TH, 2020
APRIL 25TH, 2020
MAY 16TH, 2020
JUNE 13TH, 2020
*WE WILL CONTACT ALL APPLICANTS WHEN WE ARE NOTIFIED BY NEW YORK
STATE WITH AN ALTERNATE TEST DATE*
TO SECTION 243.10-A EFFECTIVE NOV. 25TH 2019 REGARDING AGE DEDUCTIONS FOR EXAM APPLICANTS.
CLICK FOR AMENDMENT BELOW:
STUDY GUIDE INFO:
- Open Competitive Examination: $40
- Promotional Examination: $40
- Uniformed Services Examination: $100
Click Here to download the Exam Application (For Civil Service Exams only)
Click here to download the Civil Service Cross-Filer form
Click here to download the Civil Service Application Fee-Waiver form
Click Here to download the Job Application (For Job Openings Only)
Click Here to download Calculator Policy
All Categories include:
Exams, Continuous Exams, and Job Postings. Please use the Dropdown Menu to select the category that you're interested in.
- Type:Full Time
- Posted Date:08/06/2019 3:25 PM
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This position is responsible for the repairs and maintenance of City automobiles, trucks, and other motor driven equipment and their auxiliary attachments. The work includes diagnosing and correcting various mechanical problems in the automobile and heavy machinery fleet. While the ability to exercise independent judgement is required, general supervision is received from administrative personnel. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: Illustrative only
- Operates tools and equipment including but not limited to valve‑grinders, drum‑cutting lathes, wheel balancers, machine lathes, cutting and heating torches, basic machine tools, and mechanical and electrical measuring and analysis equipment;
- Inspects, maintains, and repairs electrical, fuel hydraulic, cooling, and exhaust systems;
- Removes, rebuilds, and adjusts carburetors, distributors, transmissions, etc.;
- Inspects, removes, and repairs brakes;
- Repairs internal combustion engines, (gas, diesel) including fitting of crank shafts, pistons, pins, and bearings;
- Repairs snow plows, road rollers, excavating equipment, street sweepers, and various miscellaneous mowers, pumps, generators, etc.;
- Adjusts steering mechanisms and aligns wheels;
- Road tests equipment.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Thorough working knowledge of mechanical tools, techniques, and procedures, including basic computer skills, as they relate to diagnostic instruments;
- Thorough knowledge of safety procedures as they relate to automotive repair and maintenance;
- Ability to analyze and diagnose mechanical problems;
- Ability to understand instructions;
- Ability to operate automobiles, light and heavy trucks, backhoes and other construction equipment such as wheel and stone, drills, air gun, air ratchet, sanders, hydraulic pumps and jacks etc.;
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships;
- Ability to communicate effectively;
- Good judgment; dependability; resourcefulness; initiative; tact; courtesy; manual dexterity.
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: EITHER
A) Graduation from high school or possession of a High School Equivalency Diploma and (4) years of experience involving the repair of automotive vehicles and equipment; or
B) Six (6) years of experience as described in (A); or
C) An equivalent combination of training and experience as defined by the limits of (A) and (B).
Possession of a Class D. Driver's License valid in the State New York.
Each interested candidate is asked to submit their resume along with a cover letter that specifies how they meet the minimum requirements to:
Commissioner, Human Resources
1 Larkin Center, 2nd Floor
Yonkers, NY 10701
Or e-mail to ted.vonhoene@YonkersNY.gov