- Open Competitive Examination: $40
- Promotional Examination: $40
- Uniformed Services Examination: $100
Click Here to download the Exam Application (For Civil Service Exams only)
Click here to download the Civil Service Cross-Filer form
Click here to download the Civil Service Application Fee-Waiver form
Click Here to download the Job Application (For Job Openings Only)
All Categories include:
Exams, Continuous Exams, and Job Postings. Please use the Dropdown Menu to select the category that you're interested in.
- Type:Full Time
- Posted Date:01/15/2019
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS:
This position is responsible for inspecting residential, commercial and industrial electrical installations and repairs to ensure adherence to city and other regulatory codes. Work is independently planned and carried to completion, and is reviewed through oral and written reports. General direction is received from administrative personnel. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative only)
- Inspects residential, commercial and industrial electrical installations and repairs for compliance with city and other regulatory codes;
- Inspects electrical lines to ensure proper functioning;
- Investigates complaints of violations of electrical codes;
- Issues violation notices to owners and buildings of sub-standard & hazardous conditions;
- Issues stop work orders for work performed without a permit or for work being performed contrary to the approved plans and specifications;
- Examines specifications, blue prints and plans of electrical installations for compliance with codes and standards;
- Upon completion of electrical projects, performs final inspections, approves or disapproves projects and prepares appropriate documentation;
- Discusses electrical installations with contractors, property owners and interested parties to explain and interpret electrical codes and standards;
- Writes reports regarding project conditions, actions taken and recommendations for further action.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, ABILITIES AND PERSONAL CHARACTERISTICS:
- Thorough knowledge of methods and practices involved in installing, repairing and maintaining a variety of electrical installations, equipment and appliances;
- Thorough knowledge of possible defects and faults in electrical systems and appliances, and of standard testing practices;
- Thorough knowledge of the codes and regulations governing electrical installations in the City of Yonkers;
- Ability to detect and locate defective wiring and to ascertain the required remediation;
- Ability to read and interpret electrical construction plans and specifications;
- Ability to enforce codes and regulations firmly, tactfully and impartially;
- Ability to keep records and to write reports;
- Ability to express oneself clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing;
- Ability to use a computer and associated office computer systems;
- Physical condition commensurate with the demands of the position.
Holding a valid Westchester County Master Electrician License and/or valid Westchester County Electrical Inspector License.
1. Possession of a valid International Certification from the International Association of Electrical Inspectors (IAEI) in Electrical General, Electrical One & Two Family Dwelling and Electrical Plan Review within 120 days of appointment.
2. Possession of a valid Certified Electrical Inspector Master from IAEI within 120 days from the date of appointment.
3.Possession of a Class D Driver’s License valid in the State of New York.
Possession of a Class D Driver’s License valid in the State of New York.
Each interested candidate is asked to submit their resume along with a cover letter that specifies how they meet the minimum requirements to:
Housing and Buildings
87 Nepperhan Ave, 5th Floor
Yonkers, NY 10701
Or e-mail to Maria.Santobello@yonkersny.gov