- Open Competitive Examination: $40
- Promotional Examination: $40
- Uniformed Services Examination: $100
Police Sergeant Date of exam: JUNE 9, 2018
Click Here to download the Exam Application (For Civil Service Exams only)
Click here to download the Civil Service Cross-Filer form
Click here to download the Civil Service Application Fee-Waiver form
Click Here to download the Job Application (For Job Openings Only)
All Categories include:
Exams, Continuous Exams, and Job Postings. Please use the Dropdown Menu to select the category that you're interested in.
- Type:Full Time
- Posted Date:02/16/2018 3:11 PM
The City of Yonkers is seeking a qualified candidate to serve in the position of Fire Commissioner. The incumbent oversees the Fire Department operations and is responsible for a force of approximately 430 firefighters and officers servicing the fourth largest city in New York State, which includes a diverse community of approximately 200,000 citizens.
This is a high level position with responsibility for the command, control, administration, disposition and discipline of the Fire Department. The incumbent in this position has responsibility for the general direction and supervision of all appropriated funds. The incumbent plans and coordinates the activity and efficiency of all fire fighting units of the City. The incumbent also has responsibility for the overall fire prevention and fire fighting activities. The work is performed in accordance with established policies and objectives permitting considerable exercise of independent judgment. Does related work as required.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustrative Only)
- Commands, controls, administers, disposes and disciplines the Fire Department;
- Directs and supervises of all funds appropriated to the Fire Department;
- Plans and coordinates the activity and efficiency of all fire fighting units of the City;
- Assists with overall fire prevention and fire fighting activities;
- Plans, coordinates and directs the overall activities of all fire fighting units;
- Assumes command at all major fires and extraordinary emergencies;
- Assigns individuals to perform specialized fire fighting and fire prevention duties;
- Supervises the investigation and determination of causes of fires;
- Directs the inspection of buildings for fire hazards to insure compliance with fire prevention ordinances;
- Maintains discipline and promotes the morale of the Fire Bureau;
- Directs and inspects the maintenance and repair of all fire fighting equipment;
- Reviews reports and makes inspections to determine the condition and efficiency of all fire fighting units;
- Directs the preparation and maintenance of personnel and activities, records and reports;
- Directs the training of Fire Bureau personnel;
- Recommends purchase of supplies and the replacement of deficient fire fighting equipment;
- Attends meetings and conferences and addresses interested groups regarding fire prevention and fire fighting activities.
QUALIFICATIONS: Candidates should have between 10 and 15 years of experience in fire prevention and or at a high administrative level working within a Fire Department. Thorough knowledge of modern firefighting and fire prevention methods and equipment; thorough knowledge of the City's building code and fire prevention laws and regulations; thorough knowledge of the geography, building conditions and major fire hazards of the City; thorough knowledge of safety precautions used in firefighting; thorough knowledge of current trends regarding the administration of firefighting and fire prevention activities; ability to plan, coordinate and direct fire fighting and fire prevention activities; ability to maintain discipline and promote morale; ability to develop cooperative relations with the public; initiative; resourcefulness; integrity; dependability; good judgment; tact and courtesy.
Either a Bachelor’s or Master’s degree in a related field is also preferred.
Each interested candidate is asked to submit their resume along with a cover letter that specifies how they meet the minimum requirements to:
Commissioner of Human Resources
1 Larkin Center, 2rd Floor
Yonkers, NY 10701
Or e-mail to Ted.VonHoene@yonkersny.gov