About the Teacher of the Year Awards
The Yonkers Kiwanis Club, Mayor Mike Spano, Yonkers Public Schools, and Yonkers Board of Education Trustees are teaming up to sponsor the City's 2018 Teacher of the Year Awards. Established by Yonkers Kiwanis Club and the Board of Education in 1956, the award celebrates Yonkers teachers who further excellence in education.
We are seeking nominations for elementary and secondary teachers from all subject areas, and nominations are welcome from students, parents, staff members and the public.
Nominate a Teacher
To nominate a Teacher of the Year, please fill out the Nomination Form by February 26, 2018.
Eligibility Requirements for Nominees
- Employed as a teacher in the Yonkers Public School for at least five years;
- Demonstrates a dedication to the teaching profession which has led his/her students to both knowledge and understanding;
- Initiates new, meaningful programs for either students, teachers or parents, or been innovative in the use of existing programs; and
- Displays significant community involvement.
- To be eligible for the award, all nominated teachers must complete and submit an application form
to Sheila Mueller. See a sample form.
- Yonkers Board of Education (BOE) Personnel Department reviews applications for compliance to the five-year employment requirement and provides qualifying applications to the Kiwanis Club.
- The Kiwanis Club reviews all applications and provides the BOE Trustees with recommendations.
- BOE Trustees select the finalist for each level.
- February 26 - Online Nomination Deadline
- March 26 - Applications must be completed and submitted to the Personnel Department
- April 30 - Teachers of the Year Recipients Announced
May 16 - Teachers of the Year Recipients Honored by Board of Education