Mayor Mike Spano calls for nominations for The 2016 Yonkers Sports Hall of Fame
Yonkers, NY – October 17, 2016 – Yonkers Mayor Mike Spano today announced the City of Yonkers, in collaboration with the Department of Parks, Recreation & Conservation, is calling for nominations to the Yonkers Sports Hall of Fame. The Sports Hall of Fame recognizes outstanding professionals and amateurs in the field of sports, living or deceased, who have gained prominence or make substantial contribution to sports in the City of Yonkers.
Established in 1966, the Yonkers Sports Hall of Fame was formed to honor residents for their playing ability, integrity, character, sportsmanship and advocacy of sports. They must have brought honor, fame and prestige not only to themselves, but also to the City of Yonkers. Their actions must have inspired young people to participate and their example must have encouraged others to promote and initiate community sports and recreation programs. The names of those selected will be permanently enshrined upon plaques located within the Yonkers Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation, at 285 Nepperhan Avenue.
“Our Sports Hall of Fame is memorable way of honoring past and present residents who enhanced Yonkers through their athletic accomplishments,” said Mayor Spano. “Throughout the years, many outstanding local citizens have gained prominence and fame within world of sports. The pride and honor they brought to themselves and others should live on as symbols of achievement and examples of hard work for future generations in our community.”
Residents are encouraged to nominate individuals they feel are worthy of the Hall of Fame at www.YonkersNY.gov/SportsHallofFame. To be eligible for nomination to the Yonkers Sports Hall of Fame, an individual must meet the following criteria of eligibility:
· Attain local, state and national recognition and prominence in either professional or amateur sports as a player, coach, manager, official, owner, writer, broadcaster or any special category as established by the Committee.
· Candidate must be a retired participant of the sport for a period of five years or have passed his/her 55th birthday.
· Must have resided in Yonkers for a minimum of 15 years.
The Yonkers Hall of Fame Committee shall consist of members who reside in Yonkers and/or whose principal employment is within the City limits and who have exhibited an interest in sports activities. The Committee shall consist of seven (7) members. Members to be included are as follows:
· Three (3) Parks Board Members, voted by the Board, for a two (2) year term
· Commissioner, Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation
· Deputy Commissioner, Department of Parks, Recreation and Conservation
· Two (2) Community Members at Large, voted by the Board, for a one(1) year term
· Chairman must be selected from the Members of the Parks Board
No member of a current Yonkers Sports Hall of Fame Committee can be elected to the Yonkers Sports Hall of Fame. Entry deadline for submitting applications for nominations is February 1, 2017.