- Open Competitive Examination: $40
- Promotional Examination: $40
- Uniformed Services Examination: $100
Click Here to download the Exam Application (For Civil Service Exams only)
Click here to download the Civil Service Cross-Filer form
Click here to download the Civil Service Application Fee-Waiver form
Click Here to download the Job Application (For Job Openings Only)
All Categories include:
Exams, Continuous Exams, and Job Postings. Please use the Dropdown Menu to select the category that you're interested in.
COMMISSIONER OF HOUSING AND BUILDINGS
- Type:Full Time
- Posted Date:01/31/2018 4:34 PM
COMMISSIONER OF HOUSING AND BUILDINGS
The City of Yonkers is a vibrant community of residences and businesses in the midst of approximately 1 billion dollars of planned development. Our goal is to continue this resurgence and promote safe, code compliant construction and property maintenance while assisting our property owners and businesses with improvements/alterations to existing buildings. With a population of approximately 200,000 people, Yonkers is the fourth largest city in the State of New York and provides a busy and rewarding work environment for employees of the Department of Housing and Buildings.
This is a professional administrative position. Under the direction of the Mayor, the incumbent is responsible for developing, directing and coordinating all programs and activities of the Department of Housing and Buildings. The work includes all daily administrative management of staff in the assignment of duties, performance evaluations, personnel matters, etc. Work is performed in accordance with established laws and regulations. General direction is exercised over the Department of Housing and Buildings.
TYPICAL WORK ACTIVITIES: (Illustritive Only)
- Plans, develops and implements housing and building programs, goals, objectives, policies and procedures and establishes departmental priorities;
- Coordinates department operations with other City departments and confers with department heads, government officials and other management personnel;
- Assesses department needs regarding personnel, equipment and supplies and develops, prepares and submits annual Departmental budget;
- Directs and oversees the activities of personnel engaged in the performance of their duties and evaluates their work performance according to predetermined policies and procedures;
- Attends City Council meetings and provides expert advice in matters that relate to the enforcement and adherence to various housing and building policies and laws;
- Directs and participates in the evaluation and review of building designs, construction plans, proposals and projects and oversees the authorization of issuance of permits;
- Represents the department at Zoning Board of Appeals meetings, directs the research of cases appearing before the Board and provides expert witness testimony;
- Oversees and directs the preparation, review and maintenance of all necessary reports, documents, applications, permits, certificates, etc. and signs off on appropriate plans.
FULL PERFORMANCE KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of civil engineering, structural engineering and architecture;
- Comprehensive knowledge of the practices of specification writing;
- Comprehensive knowledge of construction estimating, including the analysis of structures;
- Thorough knowledge of the principles, practices and techniques of public administration;
- Thorough knowledge of legal principles and practices of contract preparation;
- Thorough knowledge of local building and zoning codes and ordinances;
- Good knowledge of local government budgeting and appropriation practices;
- Good knowledge of public policy development and administration; working knowledge of personnel administration and practices, including human resource planning, civil service, labor relations, interviewing, training, counseling and performance appraisal;
- Ability to establish effective working relationships with officials, department heads, interest groups and staff;
- Ability to make administrative decisions;
- Ability to plan and supervise the work of others;
- Ability to get along well with others;
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing;
- Effective management skills;
- Good judgment; integrity; tact; courtesy; initiative; resourcefulness.
Possession of a valid Professional Engineers License issued by the New York State Education Department.
Each interested candidate is asked to submit their resume along with a cover letter that specifies how they meet the minimum requirements to:
Commissioner, Human Resources
1 Larkin Center, 2rd Floor
Yonkers, NY 10701
Or e-mail to Tracey.Kuzemczak@yonkersny.gov